Nuggets of Wisdom

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Welcome Back, Jay!



Last night, Jay Leno returned to television with his new show The Jay Leno Show.

I’ve been a fan of Jay Leno since high school. I never watched his show for his guests (both regular and musical), just his monologue and segments such as Jaywalking and Headlines. To me, the opening of his show was always better than the rest of it.

Yet ever since I went to college, I haven’t watched much of The Tonight Show. You could imagine how I felt when I finally graduated from college to learn that Jay Leno was retiring that same summer.

Conan O’Brien serves as a decent replacement, though I don’t really care for him that much. Then again, I never really cared for him when he hosted Late Night (I think Jimmy Fallon actually does a better job).

Well, now Jay’s back with a new show, which I watched last night. It’s the same as his old show but with a new order. When he hosted the Tonight Show, his typical show would be monologue, funny segment, guest star, and musical guest. He still has the same order, but with the funny segments scattered throughout the show. I’m guessing Jay figured that most people (like myself) enjoyed his show for the funny segments; so to keep people watching his show, he scattered the funny segments throughout it.

Well, it worked for me.

The only thing I didn’t care for (other than the guests, who I never cared for) was the segment about the car wash, which I found to be absolutely pointless. Other than that, the show was fantastic. Jay Leno proved funny as always. And he managed to save the best for last: Headlines.