Nuggets of Wisdom

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Demotivational Poster: Hypersensitive

Hypersensitive

Watch YouTube Video Here!

In preparation of its new season, Sesame Street decided to reveal some of its new segments on YouTube. One of those segments was a music video featuring Elmo and pop star Katy Perry, the video being a parody of her song Hot n Cold. But after receiving complaints from parents about Perry’s “inappropriate dress,” Sesame Street decided not to air the music video on television.

I’m not a fan of Katy Perry (though I do have here song Hot n Cold on my mp3 player), but I thought her video was fairly hilarious, and I didn’t think her dress was that inappropriate or suggestive. Having grown up with movies such as The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, I can assure you that I have seen much more skin than what Katy Perry showed (think of Ariel’s seashell bra!), and I wasn’t scarred for life because of it. I don’t think kids would have noticed Perry’s dress, considering they barely know the difference between girls and boys. Though to be fair, parents have a right to complain, and Sesame Street has a right to decide what is appropriate or not. I just think parents tend to be hypersensitive about these things.

P.S.: Disney’s Fantasia featured topless female centaurs, and The Last Unicorn featured a topless harpy. I saw both of these films at a young age, and in neither case did I notice the nudity until I was much older. Children are much more innocent that way.