A Lie Told Long Enough... by ~BlameThe1st on deviantART
“A lie told often enough becomes truth” - Vladimir Lenin
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." - Joseph Goebbels
Whether in the media, on the internet, or in real life, political talking points are regurgitated and recycled on a daily basis. They offer the common man the convenience of engaging in political discourse without the inconvenience of thinking.
Indeed, why should the average Joe waste time contemplating trivial matters (like how to fix the economy or how to reform healthcare) when he can spend that time thinking about more important issues (like who to vote for as the next American Idol or which app to download for his new iPhone)? All he has to do is allow the ruling elite to think for him by reducing political discourse into convenient sound bites, which are then fed to him by corporate pundits and politicians. Then Joe can share these talking points with family and friends, who will share them with other family and friends, and so on and so forth until the entire country becomes “enlightened” by these talking points.
In the end, everyone wins: the general public is freed from having to think for themselves, and the ruling elite is allowed the privilege of ruling over the ignorant masses.
Here are a few “lies” which have been told often enough that they have become truth:
- “The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer”
- “The rich don’t pay their fair share in taxes”
- “Deregulation caused the economic recession”
- “Republicans want people to die without health insurance”
- “Arizona immigration law promotes racial-profiling”
- “Gun control prevents gun violence”
- “Violent video games make children violent”
- “Global warming is man-made”
- “Islam is a religion of peace”
- “9/11 was an inside job”
- “Obama is a secret Muslim who was born in Kenya”