But you know what? I don’t care!
These past two episodes have been the best of the second season by far, and are officially my favorite (considering they feature my two favorite characters Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle respectively). So allow me to share my thoughts on “Putting Your Hoof Down” and “It’s About Time.”
art by johnjoseco
Putting You Hoof Down
• Anyone else think Angel bunny acted like a total prick towards Fluttershy in this episode? The ungrateful turd actually had the audacity to slap her in the face! KILL THE WABBIT! KILL THE WABBIT! KILL THE WABBIT!
• If you look closely in the marketplace, you can see Pipsqueak from “Luna Night.” (Yay! One of my favorite background ponies.)
• The pony selling asparagus was one of the stallions pulling a train in “Over A Barrel.”
• The elderly pony who cut in front of Fluttershy was one of the senior citizens saved by Rainbow Dash in “The Mysterious Mare Do Well.”
• Question: Since an old photo of Cheerilee from “Call Of The Cutie” showed that Equestria already went through an 80s phase, wouldn’t it be weird that two ponies dress and act like it’s still the 80s? I mean, who dresses and acts like that today in our world?
• The geeky pony with the acne, glasses, and bowtie = favorite new background pony! (I shall dub thee Poindexter!”
• Rarity wasn’t really being “assertive.” More like she was being “flirty.”
• The price of tomatoes rises from one bit to two within one week? Who knew inflation exists in Equestria! Wonder if they also have a Federal Reserve responsible for it. (Then again, Equestrian currency is clearly metal-based, unlike our fiat currency which is more susceptible to inflation. But perhaps I’m overanalyzing.)
• Rabbit Season! Duck Season! Rabbit Season! Rabbit Season! Duck Season. Fire!
• Again, Pinkie Pie wasn’t being “assertive” as she was being just “confusing.”
• The pony selling cherries is one of the construction workers saved in “The Mysterious Mare Do Well.”
• Anyone else think the cherry-selling pony sounded like Pete?
• So even though Fluttershy went through all that trouble to make Angel’s special dish minus the cherry, the little turd treats her like shit?! That’s it. Angel needs to go like the pet bunny in Fatal Attraction! Rabbit Stew time!
• That’s the second time any pony has said “As Celestia as my witness.” The first time it was said by Rarity in “Sisterhooves Social.”
• You have to wonder why Bon Bon or Daisy would need assertiveness training. They’re clearly assertive enough to kick Fluttershy into the back of the arena.
• Eye of the Tiger!
• Mr. Green Hooves (the pony overwatering Fluttershy’s petunias) is the same gardener pony from “The Best Night Ever.”
• Okay, allow me to list all of Fluttershy’s rhymes here for sake of convenience:
o “Treat me like a pushover, and you’ll get the once over.”• Many bronies went wild over the fact that socks actually exist in Equestria. Somehow, I’m not impressed. I don’t know. I’m just not into the creepy sock fetish.
o “When some pony tries to block, show them that you rock.”
o “Maybes are for babies.”
o “You laugh at me, I wrath at you!”
o “Cut in line, I’ll take what’s mine!”
o “You apologize, I penalize.”
o “You make me lose, I blow my fuse.” (The way she said it sounded absolutely orgasmic, IMHO!)
• “Now go to the back of the line where you belong.” Anyone else elated by that?
• Anyone else think how Fluttershy reacted to Pinkie Pie was slightly uncalled for?
• And Fluttershy is totally using the Canterlot voice.
• Just how long was Fluttershy boarded up in her house? It looks like it’s in complete shambles.
• “Iron Will collects NOW!” Sounds like the announcers you hear in infomercials. “Call for this special offer NOW!”
• Iron Will definitely is a parody mix between Hulk Hogan and Mr. T.
• And Fluttershy forces Angel bunny to eat his veggies—using the Stare, by all means!
art by johnjoseco
It’s About Time
• Twilight is a member of the Ponyville Hay Board (Whatever that is).
• Future Twilight looks like Snake from Metal Gear Solid 4, and she appears from the future like the Terminator (except she’s not naked!)—yet another reason why grown men like Pony cartoons!
• “What was she trying to warn me about?” I don’t know, Twi. Maybe if you actually shut up and listened to her, you wouldn’t have to guess!
• And Doctor Whooves laughs at Twilight for suggesting she was visited from herself in the future. I don’t know. Did anyone else expect him to play a larger role in this episode? I mean, time travel, Doctor Whooves. His name is canon, after all. Why not be consistent?
• Pinkie Pie gave the best lines in this episode:
o (While hanging from balloons) “Run for your life”• What the ponies do to “disasterproof” Equestria during montage:
o (Screams, then pauses) “Anypony else want to panic with me? No?” (Continues screaming.)
o “Okay everypony, follow my lead.” (Screams.)
o “I have balls stashed all over Ponyville, in case of ball emergencies.”
o (After being asked if she finished recalibrating the apertures on the telescopes): “I have no idea.”
o Rarity and Apple Jack: Fill cracks in dam.• Apparently, Tatarus from ancient Greek mythology exists in Equestria, and Cerberus guards it to keep all the ancient evils from escaping, as it did in mythology. Then again, MLP:FIM does play off Greek mythology a lot. (Manticores. Hydras. Griffons. Minatours.)
o Mrs. Cake: Fill water tower.
o Pinkie Pie and Big Mac: Fix bridge.
o Cutie Mark Crusaders: Clean sidewalk.
o Spike: Fill cracks in library walls.
o Pinkie Pie and Rarity: Trim hair.
• Cerberus was about to take a piss on one of the buildings! LOL!
• And Fluttershy manages to subdue it by rubbing its tummy. As of now, she has tamed a Manticore, shamed a dragon, stared down a cockatrice, wrestled a bear, stood her ground with a minotaur, and now subdued Cerberus. Fluttershy is officially the most epic pony ever! (More so that Rainbow Dash!)
• Twilight goes on an epic adventure—and we don’t get to see it! (And thus a million fanfics were launched!)
• Twilight seriously wants to stand in place for a good week? Wouldn’t staying in bed be an easier way to do nothing? (But then again, we wouldn’t get the comic relief.)
• Madame Pinkie? Really? (Then again, she looks good as a gypsy!)
• “The Mystical Orb of Fate’s Destiny”? “Fate’s Destiny”? Isn’t that redundant?
• If the Pinkie Sense is only for immediate emergencies, how is she able to predict that Twilight will receive an awesome birthday present next year? (Maybe the fortune-telling thing is a gimmick.)
• Funny how in this episode, Pinkie Pie comes off as being the sane one over Twilight.
• The equation on the chalkboard is actually a real equation: Check it out!
• Moar Metal Gear Solid references!
• The guard knows Twilight and happily opens up the secret section for her. Pays to be Celestia’s prized student!
• How can Pinkie Pie be so oblivious? She was the first pony Twilight told about her future self and the “disaster.”
• If Celestia raises the sun, how can she be in the library with Twilight just seconds after the sun had risen?
• So Twilight goes back into the past to tell herself not to worry about the future, but she only worried about the future because she had gone back in time to warn herself about the future. (YOU’VE CREATED A TIME PARADOX!)