Nuggets of Wisdom

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Your Rights End When Life Begins


Your Rights End When Life Begins by ~BlameThe1st on deviantART


Your Rights End When Life Begins by ~BlameThe1st on deviantART

Libertarians like myself and Ron Paul tend to have our libertarianism questioned when we speak out against abortion. “How can you call yourself a libertarian when you’re against a woman’s right to choose?” we’re asked. “Don’t you believe in a woman’s right to her own body?”

But that’s the thing: I do believe in a woman’s right to her body. As a libertarian, I support every human being’s right to their own body, regardless of their gender, and I believe the government has no right to dictate what they do with it—especially in the privacy of their own bedroom.

However, concerning the issue of abortion, I have this to say: freedom is not absolute! The freedom to swing your fists ends where another’s nose begins. Every human being, regardless of gender, has a right to their own body only to the extent that they do not infringe on the rights of another human being and their body.

And I assume everyone is smart enough to see where I’m going with this…