Nuggets of Wisdom

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Demotivational Poster: Voter Suppression

Voter Suppression

This is one of those issues where I’m left scratching my head wondering why this is even an issue. Everyone has to show identification for some reason. If you’re pulled over by a cop, you have to show your license and registration. If you want to leave the country, you have to show your passport. If you want to buy cigarettes, beer, or an R-rated movie, you have to show some form of identification. So why is it an issue to show your identification in order to vote? Yes, voting is a right guaranteed to every citizen, which is why it should be important to prove one’s citizenship before voting, just as it is important to prove one’s citizenship before running for public office (which is also a right).

I know many other libertarians tend to be against voter ID laws, if not ID in general. My hero Ron Paul is strongly opposed to a National ID card, though he supports state ID cards. (What the difference is between them is beyond me.) They claim that having to show identification is an invasion of privacy, but honestly, I don’t see how it is. To me, having to pass through virtual strip searches at the airport is an invasion of privacy. So is having your phone tapped or your library records inspected without a warrant. And don’t get me stated about the recent Supreme Court decision approving of strip searches for any minor offense! But having to flash my ID card before voting? Sorry. I don’t see how that’s an infringement on my rights.

Of course, the main opponents of voter ID are Democrats and other libtrarded moonbats. They claim that these voter ID laws are a form of voter suppression meant to disenfranchise poor minority voters. How? By requiring them to buy identification, of course!

Really?

Driver’s licenses and other state ID cards costs about $50 in my state. Granted, that is rather pricey, but hardly enough to break the bank. And as I mentioned before, you need such identification for other reasons as well. So essentially, it’s more of an investment than a burden.

Again, I don’t see what the big deal is—especially since most other countries tend to have some form of voter ID laws. But if anyone wants to enlighten me, feel free to do so in the comments below.