With Halloween just around the corner, I decided to feature a music video combining the two scariest things ever: Michael Jackson’s Thriller…and Sesame Street.
Oh yes. You heard me. Our beloved fictional childhood neighborhood wasn’t all sunny days. There were moments that were downright creepy and disturbing, so much so that TV Tropes has its own page about them: Sesame Street Nightmare Fuel.
The following music video showcases some of these less than cheery moments set to Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
Some of the scary moments featured:
• Ernie Goes Rock Hunting (and discovers something other than a rock…and much scarier!)
• Bert and Ernie in a Pyramid (They don’t encounter a mummy, but something equally creepy: an Egyptian doppelganger of Ernie!)
• The Count Sleeps Over At Bert And Ernie’s (This actually has two parts. The first part isn’t creepy, but the last part…well, let’s just say Ernie does not look good when he doesn’t get his sleep.)
• Kermit "Sound of B" (Featuring the Beautiful Day monster. What’s that? You never heard of him? There’s a good reason for that. This thing scared the kiddies so much that he was removed from the show.)
• Kermit “In the Box” (Kermit and an evil Grover discover what is in the box—and wish that they didn’t!)
• I-Beam (Believe it or not, there were kids that were scared peeless out of this. Foreboding music? Hot intense flames? I can’t imagine why!)
• The Count “Bones Inside of You” (It was one thing when they featured a puppet based upon a blood-sucking monster—but why in the holy hell did they feature an actual skeleton in a kids show!?)
• Sesame Street News Flash: Humpty Dumpty (Those teeth. Those teeth! TEETH ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO MOVE LIKE THAT!)