Nuggets of Wisdom

Monday, November 19, 2012

Who Cares How Old Rubio Thinks The Earth Is?

Marco Rubio became the target of scorn following an interview where he said that he was "not a scientist" when it came to the age of the earth, which he considered "one of the great mysteries":
GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?
Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.
I may be a Floridian but I'm no fan of Rubio, what with him being a fan of wiretapping American citizens and banning gays from the military. But I personally loved his approach to this question, which I felt was the correct approach.

Because whether or not Rubio believes the earth is six thousand years old or six billion is of little consequence to his other political positions. It says nothing about his stances on the military or the economy or the Constitution or any other subject he will actually have a say in as a politician.

Because that's what the man is: a politican, not a scientist. In the end, we're electing him to lead the country, not teach a science class. And as a voter, I care more that he was a co-sponsor of PIPA rather than a young-earth creationist. His stance on civil liberties is far more disturbing to me than his stance on geology. And that's what most Americans should find disturbing about him.

This is the same problem I had with criticisms against Ron Paul. To many moonbats, especially atheists, it did not matter that he was consistent with his principles, or that he wasn't bought and paid for by special interests: the fact that he believes human beings were created six thousand years ago made him unelectable.

Who cares if Ron Paul doesn't believe in evolution? He also doesn't believe in warrantless wiretapping or enhanced interrogation techniques or pre-emptive wars or corporate bailouts or prosecuting whistleblowers or drug prohibition or internet censorship or drone strikes or targeted assassinations or indefinite detention. Meanwhile, Obama believes in all of that stuff AND evolution.

Gee, it's almost as if scientific literacy or religious belief has no bearing on political performance, like politics and science and religion are all separate topics that have no relevance to one another. Too bad many Americans can't keep religion separate from politics, let alone church separate from state.