Nuggets of Wisdom

Friday, December 14, 2012

Fav Xmas Songs: Deck The Halls

Since Christmas is just around the corner, I've decided to do something holiday-related with my blog and share my favorite Christmas music. From now until Christmas, I will be sharing 12 of my my favorite Christmas songs (in no particular order). And since most songs have various renditions, I will be sharing the specific ones I enjoy the most.

Let's start things off with my favorite Christmas artist: Mannheim Steamroller. I know most people associate Christmas with the likes of Bing Crosby or Nate King Cole or the Vienna Boys Choir, but for me, Christmas is about Mannheim Steamroller. Hard to believe that electronica could ever be associated with such a blessed holiday, but somehow, Christmas music really sounds great when performed by synthesizer. It gives the songs a very whimsical and upbeat vibe to them.

And this is especially true with my favorite song rendition by them: Deck the Halls. I can't explain why it works, but somehow, it just does. I guess it's because we've heard such traditional songs performed traditionally so many times before that hearing them performed in such a non-conventional manner makes it sound new. Besides. It makes for fantastic Christmas light shows!