Nuggets of Wisdom

Monday, December 24, 2012

Fav Xmas Songs: Someday At Christmas

I know I’ve been slacking on these “Favorite Christmas songs” posts, but life has been keeping me busy for the holidays. So this Christmas Eve, I’m sharing my last four favorite Christmas songs.

And let’s start with this one: “Someday at Christmas” by Stevie Wonder.

Fun Fact: I did not know Stevie Wonder sung this until I recently looked it up. I always thought it was a woman singing it. (I don’t know if that’s a fault on my part or Stevie’s.)

Again, this may not be a “traditional” Christmas song, but it’s one that perfectly encapsulates the Christmas spirit. It’s pretty sad to think that, during a time that’s supposed to be about peace on earth and good will to men, we still have to suffer through war. And to give this song context, it was written during the Vietnam War, an especially dark time in our history. And considering we’re still going through two wars today, things still look bleak now.

But songs like this give us hope (especially to us who are anti-war libertarians) that if we can manage to keep the spirit of Christmas in our hearts throughout the year, maybe, just maybe, there just will be peace on earth.