Tuesday, December 11, 2012
"Sleepless in Ponyville" Review
I wouldn’t say this episode was bad, but overall, it was rather "meh!" I don’t exactly care for camping episodes as, having been done before in other media, they tend to be predictable. And boy was this episode predictable!
“Gee, I wonder if they will bring along the character who hates the outdoors? What do you know! They do!”
“I wonder if she will pack an insane load of luggage. What do you know! She does! And look: she’s having someone else carry it for her!”
“Now I wonder if she will have an elaborate tent. Of course she does!”
On the other hand, I love how Scootaloo finally has her own episode, and how her relationship with Rainbow Dash managed to develop in it. Reminds me of how Spike confessed his crush on Rarity in “The Secret of my Excess.” It really shows that the creators are invested in giving their characters dimension.
Anyway, here is the episode and my thoughts on it.
Sleepless In Ponyville
• Looks like Rainbow Dash just finished her job at the windmill. (Kudos to anyone who gets that reference.)
• Watching the opening the first time around, I thought they were actually re-running “The Cutie Mark Chronicles.” The Scootaloo scooter scene is that similar. Don’t know if it’s a callback to the original episode, or just lazy animation.
• Oh look: Rarity packed a lot of luggage for a camping trip! And Sweetie Belle is carrying it all! (On the other hand: her camping outfit is cute.)
• Oh look: Rarity has an elaborate tent. And it has two stories!
• Rarity’s couch returns!
• The Olden Pony story is reminiscent of “Clinkity Clink” and “Just Delicious” from the “Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark” series. (Especially with the “You Do!” part at the end.)
• Rainbow Dash sleeps like she did in “Read it and Weep!”
• The nightmare world looks a lot like the forest from the second part of “Mare in the Moon” during Pinkie Pie’s “Giggle at the Ghosties” song.
• Seriously, look at the river of sweat Sweetie Belle is leaving behind pulling the cart. I can understand Spike accepting to do something like this. But Sweetie Belle? Her own sister? Seriously?!
• The cave looks exactly like the Ursa Minor’s cave in “Boast Busters.” (Good thing there was no Ursa Minor in there.)
• The Headless Horse story is an obvious reference to the “Headless Horseman” (Though as Apple Jack points out, this adaptation doesn’t exactly work.)
• The lanterns they use have fireflies in them.
• I love how Scootaloo realizes the illogic of the Headless Horse “whinnying”
• And of course, it’s Rainbow Dash that saves her!
• As I said before, I really love how Scootaloo opens up to Rainbow Dash, and how Dash comforts her. I really build upon their relationship.
• Looks like the falls are directly beneath Cloudsdale. (Hope that isn’t sewage from the Rainbow Factory!)
• It also warmed my heart seeing the trios racing at the end, especially with Rainbow Dash carrying Scootaloo!
• Anyone else noticing that Scootaloo is fluttering her wings more often this season? She seems to be prepping to fly.
• Anyone else realize that Rainbow Dashed needlessly killed three trees in this episode? The effect was awesome, but still, did she have to do that?
• Did anyone else think that The Olden Pony was going to be Granny Smith in disguise as a prank?
• How the heck is Scootaloo flapping her wings and driving while she is asleep?
• And how did the others catch up to her?
• Does Princess Luna really have the ability to enter into other ponies’ dream, or is Scootaloo simply dreaming her?
• How does Scootaloo manage to retrieve her scooter? She loses it twice in this episode, once falling into a river!
Gags and Moments
• Granny Smith managing to move out of Scootaloo’s way (and winking about it).
• Scootaloo crashing into the hay.
• Sweetie Belle’s sad face. (Ultra cute!)
• Rainbow Dash kicking away three logs from three trees.
• And her rainbow tornado!
• Scootaloo epically tripping. (I mean, wow, that’s unlucky!)
• Scootaloo’s expression after Dash ruffles her mane.
• Rarity’s tent.
• Rarity blushing at her story.
• Apple Bloom clinging to Apple Jack.
• Scootaloo rushing into her tent (And the cartoon sound effect that goes with it! Reminds me of Scooby-Doo!)
• Luna in the woods. (Reminds me of the Slender Man.)
• Scootaloo’s sleepless expression.
• Scootaloo jumping up real high, clinging to the cloud, and then landing in a crater (and then digging a trench at the hoot of an owl).
• Sweetie Belle falling asleep after her song, and Rarity carrying her away with magic.
• Rainbow Dash’s oversized earplugs.
• Rainbow Dash’s echoing snore.
• Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo hugging. (Kawaii!)
• Rainbow Dash flying and carrying Scootaloo (Super Kawaii!)
• Sweetie Belle: “Rarity loves camping!” Rarity: “I despise camping! All that..bleh…nature.” (Callback to "Sisterhooves Social”)
• Rarity: “Are we there yet?” Apple Jack: “The last thousand times you asked that, no. This time, it’s actually is.”
• Rainbow Dash: “Looks like you’ll be sharing a tent with me.” Scootaloo: “Sure, if that’s okay with you?” Rainbow Dash: “Sure, as long as you don’t snore. You don’t snore, do you?”
• Rainbow Dash: “Everybody get comfortable, because I’m about to tell you the best story you ever heard.” Scootaloo: “Is it about the time that Rarity had wings, and then they got ruined, and then you saved her from plummeting to her doom?” Rainbow Dash: “Okay. Maybe it’s the second best story you ever heard.”
• Rarity: “Don’t worry: Rarity is here to keep you safe and sound.” (Ultra cute!)
• Rarity: “Am I sweating? Gasp! I think I’m sweating!”
• Apple Jack: “You’re more nervous than a worm in an apple on cider-making day.”
• Apple Jack: “Brr! It’s colder than a Timberwolf’s toenail!”
• Scootlaoo: “It was hard to find because there aren’t that many trees around here.”
• Scootaloo: “There was once a really, really nice pony in a bright and sunny land where there was rainbows everyday and lots and lots of happy friends and…”
• Apple Jack: “If it doesn’t have a head, then how in tarnation does this pony know where it’s going?” Rainbow Dash: “It’s headless, not brainless.” Apple Jack: “So where is it’s brain?”
• Scootaloo: “If the headless horse catches me, I’ll never be heard from again. And I want to be heard from!”
• Rainbow Dash: “I’m going to tell you something, but if you tell anypony else, I’m going to deny it.”
• Sweetie Belle: “I call sister teams: Last herd to make it to the end of the falls is a moldy carrot!”
• Olden Pony: “Where’s my rusty horseshoe?” Rainbow Dash: “Here it is! Now take it and stop your moaning!”
• I know it doesn’t count, but Sweetie Belle singing “99 Buckets of Oats” was super ultra cute. Funny how Sweetie Belle has many cute moments this season.