Nuggets of Wisdom

Sunday, October 20, 2013

My Top 13 Scariest Nostalgic Moments (#5)

The original Indiana Jones trilogy is one of the most beloved adventure movies of all…

…ah, screw it! It’s the “Kali Ma” scene from Temple of Doom.

#5: Kali Ma scene from Temple of Doom


Admit it! As soon as I mentioned Indiana Jones, this was the scene that came to your mind. How can it not be? It’s the most infamous scene from the entire series.

You know it. I know it. Everyone else knows it. This is the scariest Indiana Jones scene ever.

We all know it by heart. Literally!

Indy and friends are sent to investigate the case of several missing children from an Indian village when they stumble across a cult for the Indian goddess of Death, Kali, which sacrifices human beings in the most gruesome way imaginable: by tearing their still-beating hearts out of their chests.



I saw this scene at the impressionable age of five, and as you can expect, it managed to mess me up big time, as it did so many other tykes.

Even though these movies were never meant for children, they were inevitably targeted towards them, so the moviemakers are hardly absolved responsibility for traumatizing young children.

This scene has been discussed by so many other reviewers before me that I don’t feel I have to go into great detail with it.

Instead, I’ll have Nostalgia Critic share his thoughts about it, which summarizes my thoughts on it exactly:



How scary is it? About as scary a waking up in a tub of ice only to discover your vital organs have been harvested on the black market.