Nuggets of Wisdom

Friday, December 27, 2013

Pony Recaps: Flight to the Finish

Sorry I’m late with these recaps. The blame is on a combination of work, sickness, and the holidays, all of which have been preventing me from posting these recaps. I will be posting them when I get the free time.

And with that said.

I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA! I HATE DIAMOND TIARA!

Did I mention how much I hate Diamond Tiara?

This little pompous bitch had to be, by far, the worst villain in the series, and considering how the other villains have tried to envelop the land in eternal night, eternal chaos, invade it with a insectoid army, re-siege a lost civilization, hold ponyville hostage, and tried to invade with an army of teenagers, that is really, really saying something.

Making fun of some ponies for not having their cutie marks is one thing, but making fun of a Pegasus who can’t fly and is possibly disabled? That is The. Worst. Possible. Thing!

And sadly, she is only one of the many reasons why I don’t like this episode.

Yes, you heard me right: I don’t like this episode.

While many reviewers are fangasming over this episode, even going so far as to prematurely call it the best episode of Season 4, I have to disagree. Very much so!

I can’t explain why I don’t like this, but watching it, I just felt bored. Perhaps it's because this is a story we’ve all seen too many times before with an ending that is far too predictable. Seriously, if you honestly thought the CMC were not going to win the competition, you haven’t watched enough television.

I was even seriously considering not writing a recap for this, and honestly, I can’t think of many things to comment on this. But I decided to scavenge as much as I can and give you what little I can come up with.

So without further ado, my thoughts on—yawn!—Flight To The Finish:





Not sure why most people were excited to see her again. Personally, I would have loved to see Ms. Peachbottom again, but that's just me.

Though I have to say that she does have the best facial expressions in the episode:





And as always, Rainbow Dash makes an extraordinary entrance:





Am I the only one who would have loved to see more Snips and Snails, even have them win? They just don't get enough love.


Not sure why she went through all the trouble making elaborate chalk drawings when she only needed them to highlight a few words. Why not just write them?


Finally we come to the first song in Season 4, Hearts As Strong As Horses. And it was--okay. It wasn't bad. It wasn't good. It was okay. Not the best CMC songs, but certainly one of them. I really love the marching beat, sort of like a football marching band, which is very fitting for the episode. And while the visuals for the song were nice and humorous, well, let's just replace the lyrics here, shall we?



The day is approaching to give it your best 
You've got to reach your prime! 


That's when you need to put yourself to the test 
And show us the passage of time. 


We're gonna need a montage. (Montage) 
A sports-training montage! (Montage) 


And just show a lot of things happenin' at once. 
Remind everyone of what's goin' on. (What's goin' on?) 


And with every shot, show a little improvement 
To show it won't take too long. 


That's called a montage. (Montage) 
Even Rocky had a montage! (Montage) 




Always fade out (Montage) into a montage... (Montage) 
If you fade out it seems like a long time (Montage) has passed in a montage... (Montage) 
Montage... (Montage)


And apparently freeze-frame can occur in real life.


I love how the CMC are willing to stand up to Silver "Snatch" and Diamond "Twat" and are no longer bothered by their taunting.


This epic staring contest is missing a third person on the right.


"Goof-saders"? DT, you insult like a kindergartner. Wait...


If this is something they can pull off in a day, I'd be impressed with what they can do with more time. (SHOW STOPPERS DOESN'T COUNT!)


I know Dash is supposed to be more "professional", but does she have to be nonchalant about it?


"But how do we upset them? We already called them blank flanks!"


Again, making fun of ponies for not having their cutie marks is one thing, but making fun of a possibly-disabled pegasus pony who can't fly? That's unforgivable!


As to the debate about weather or not Scootaloo is "disabled", I'm of the opinion that she's just a slow learner when it comes to learning. I have no doubts we will see Scootaloo flying by the series end.


Aw, isn't that cute. BUT IT'S WR--no, wait, it's still cute.


Hey, didn't we see that couple in the back in another episode? How many train trips does Carrot Top's boyfriend go on.


OMIGOSH! Dash is still the master of facial expressions!


Confirmed: Scootaloo is not homeless. Now we just need to confirm that she has parents.


I confess this was a heartwarming scene between Dash and Scootaloo, and one that offers a lot of character development.


Scootaloo hoofbumps Granny Smith! That makes this running gag 20 percent cooler.


You know your performance is a success when it forces Ms. "Professionalism" to break character.


Dash's expression is my reaction exactly, Seriously, could we go one episode without having the CMC obsess over cutie marks?