Nuggets of Wisdom

Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Thoughts On Don Sterling

You all should know by now that when I title my posts “My Thoughts On…” that whatever follows can be summarized as “I don’t care!”

And those are my exact sentiments: I don’t care! I don’t care that Don Sterling was fired. I don’t care about what he said. And I don’t even care who Sterling is. Before his racist rant was leaked to the public, I had no idea who the guy was. Why should I? I don’t follow the NBA. I don’t watch basketball. I don’t even like any sport that ends with “ball.” (Which makes 99 percent of all sports.)

This isn’t to say that I didn’t find the man’s comments racist or offensive. They are, and he was rightfully fired for uttering them. (Yes, I support his freedom of speech, but I also support his company’s freedom of association, and they have the right not to associate with his bigoted ass.) Anyone who frets about their loved ones hanging around black people deserve to be scorned as the bigots they are.

But let’s get real here: who exactly did Don Sterling hurt? No one. This was a private conversation between him and his girlfriend. Had it not been leaked to the public, it would have remained private. No one else would have known about it. No one else would have cared. This media circus surrounding him would never have happened.

I’m sorry, but I have better things to worry about than what some crusty older geezer who was obviously born and raised in a racist, regressive era had to say. (Let me guess: something racist and regressive? Go figure!) I don’t have the time and energy to be constantly outraged at every little thing some celebrity says, and even if I did, it’s clearly not good for my health. I’m all for waging a good old-fashioned witch hunt, but considering the overall crap overflowing from this country, I say we need to pick our battles wisely.