Disney recently released its first trailer for its first animated Marvel movie, Big Hero 6:
Just a few random thoughts:
• The animation and art style looks marvelous, with a blend of Eastern and Western influences. It definitely seems like its going to be a good movie, but for some reason it just doesn’t feel like a Disney movie. Seems more like something Dreamworks or Illumination Entertainment. I guess I’m too used to Disney movies being about fairy tales. Nice to see them experiment, though.
• The movie is set in the fictional city of San Fransokyo. Sounds like the name the Japanese would have given San Francisco if they had managed to win WW2. Wonder if the movie is set in such an alternative time line.
• Should a police officer really question the validity of a story about a kid being attacked by an army of nanobots telepathically controlled by a Kabuki-mask wearing fiend when there’s a giant robot using his scotch tape to repair himself? Seems like the very existence of sentient robots in this universe would lend credence to it.
• The robot is inflatable. Even more reason to compare it to the Michelin Man. Seems like Michelin Tires could very well be filling a lawsuit in the near future.
• Also, doesn’t it seem odd for a robot to be designed as inflatable? Seems like this very trailer proves how flawed such a robot would be.
• Anyone else reminded of Iron Man when the robot flies across the city in its new armor?