Nuggets of Wisdom

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

RIP Robin Williams

When I first heard the news that Robin Williams passed away, I initially thought it was a joke. It had to be. The guy was only 63. He’s younger than either of my parents. He couldn’t die this young. And he especially couldn’t have died from suicide. He was an actor and comedian. One of his movies was about a doctor who believed laughter was the best medicine. His job was to make others laugh. So how could he himself suffer from depression? It simply wasn’t true. It couldn’t be.

But then I skimmed through other news sites, and, sadly, it was true—Robin Williams took his own life.

Out of curiosity, I went to check his Twitter account. One of the very last tweets he left in this life was made at the very end of July. It was a birthday wish to his daughter, Zelda. He had named her after the titular princess in the Legend of Zelda. Back then, there was only one game in the series (which most people didn’t even know would become such a huge franchise), and yet Williams was so enthralled by it that he named his daughter after one of its characters. Since then, he has become such a huge fan with the series that he agreed to appear with his daughter in a commercial for the Ocarina of Time remake for the Nintendo 3DS.



Many of my peers will probably remember and honor Williams the most as Genie from Aladdin. That’s certainly how I was first introduced to him. But for me, as a Zelda fan, I will especially remember him for the hardcore Zelda fan that he was.

Rest in Peace, oh brave Hero of Time. May you find your ever sought for Sacred Realm in the afterlife.