Nuggets of Wisdom

Friday, September 19, 2014

Freak You, Too, Ann!


Sexy Politico


Oh, Ann Coulter! There once was a time when I actually read your books and agreed with you wholeheartedly. But a funny thing happened since then: I grew up! And as I grew up, my political viewpoints changed. But while my views shifted toward the center and I became more libertarian, your views remained on the far right and you continued to be the same neocon pundit you always have been.

I may have been occasionally able to glean enjoyment from reading your columns, but your recent comments toward libertarians have since prompted me to drop your website from my internet bookmarks:
The biggest current danger for Republicans is that idiots will vote for Libertarian candidates in do-or-die Senate elections, including Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Colorado. (That's in addition to the "Independent" in Kansas who's a Democrat.) Democratic candidates don't have to put up with this crap -- they're even trying to dump the official Democrat in Kansas to give the stealth Democrat a better shot.

When we're all dying from lack of health care across the United States of Mexico, we'll be deeply impressed with your integrity, libertarians.

Which brings me to my final assignment this week: If you are considering voting for the Libertarian candidate in any Senate election, please send me your name and address so I can track you down and drown you.
Yeah, well freak you too, Ann!

Of course she’s wrong about libertarians “stealing” votes from Republicans. Down here in Florida, the exact opposite is true: the Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Adrian Wyllie is stealing votes from Democratic Charlie Christ, not from Republican Rick Scott. In fact, I’ve been able to convince my neocon Fox News junkie mother to vote for Wyllie because of this. (She doesn’t like Scott, but she dislikes Christ even more!)

And as Shane Killian of the Bogosity Podcast told me on the Bogosity Forum, Ann’s wrong about her example of the North Carolina Senate race:
She mentioned North Carolina specifically. But polls show Sean Haugh is drawing equal support from those who would otherwise vote Hagan or Tillis. The Republicans only have themselves to blame for their inevitable loss by nominating someone as mind-bogglingly unlikeable as Tillis! This election should be a cakewalk for them, as Hagan is hated by 60% of NC voters, but Tillis is hated by more than 80% of NC voters!

As Sean said, if the Republicans really want to unseat Hagan, their only option is for Tillis to drop out the race and tell everyone to vote Libertarian.
Then again, there’s no such thing as “stealing” votes. It’s just an excuse to force people to vote for the establishment parties. You either get the vote or you don’t. If a politician gets less votes than his opponent, it’s not because that opponent stole his votes. It’s because he was unable to sell his platform to potential voters. Your competition is not stealing from you if they manage to offer a better product that you.