Nuggets of Wisdom

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Nightly Frights: Alice


Wikipedia

If I were to tell you that there exists a nightmarishly-disturbing interpretation of Alice in Wonderland, chances are you would assume I was talking about American McGee's Alice.

But no.

That’s not the one I’m talking about. Albeit it is scary, it’s not really that scary when you consider that it was supposed to be scary to begin with.

But what if I told you there was another twisted adaptation of Alice? One with creepy imagery, dark settings, and an overall unsettling vibe intensified by its stiff stop-motion animation and lack of music?

And what if I told you this adaptation, this never-ending generator of nightmare fuel, was meant for children?

If you’re a fan of Brows Held High, you probably know what I’m talking about.


Amazon


This adaptation, simply titled Alice, is a 1988 film that blends live-action with stop-motion animation—some of the most horrifying stop-motion animation ever put to film, and that includes the work of Tim Burton.

What else can you say about an Alice in Wonderland movie that tosses at you images like this?


Pintrest


Unfortunately, I can’t find a legal version of the full movie on-line, and even if I could, I doubt most of you could handle the complete mind-freakary in its entirety. So to spare your sanity, I’m going to simply share with you Oancitizen’s review of it.