Nuggets of Wisdom

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Rand Don’t Impress Me Much


Some of you have asked me about my thoughts on Rand’s announcement of his presidential run. Quite frankly, I’m not impressed. You want a reason why? Here’s one:

In the past, Rand has made many anti-libertarian comments concerning foreign policy in Iran and Iraq. When he was confronted by a reporter to explain these comments, he replied that they didn’t matter because he wasn’t running for president then!


“What I would say is, there has always been a threat of Iran gaining nuclear weapons and I think that’s greater now than it was many years ago. I think we should do everything we can to stop them,” Paul said to host Savannah Guthrie. But in 2007, Paul, then a surrogate for his father’s presidential campaign, told radio host Alex Jones that “Even our own intelligence community consensus opinion now is that they’re not a threat.” “You know, it’s ridiculous to think they’re a threat to our national security,” he added.

Asked to clarify the contradiction, Paul first bickered with the question, challenged Guthrie’s interview skills, and then reluctantly explained that he made his comments before he ran for office. “2007 was a long time ago and events do change over long periods of time,” Paul said. “We’re talking about a time when I wasn’t running for office, when I was helping someone else run for office.”
Sorry, Rand, but if that’s how you try to cover your ass over your visibly leaking BS, there’s no reason for me to vote for you (even with my nose held while pulling the lever) over the Libertarian candidate. Besides, he’s probably going to be overshadowed by an establishment Republican like Jeb Bush or Chris Christie.