Nuggets of Wisdom

Saturday, April 25, 2015

SU Recap: Love Letters


Even in its simplicity, Steven Universe can be really deep for a kid's show. This episode proved just that by touching on the subject of unrequited love and love at first sight. Sure, other shows, even kids shows, have touched on this subject, but SU touches on it with as much maturity as it does with humor.

Yes, it's humorous to see Jamie being bluntly turned down by Garnet, but it's also comforting to hear her explain that he never really was in love with her to begin with. Tommy Oliver elucidated best in his review: "It's really easy to get caught up in that surge of emotion when you see someone that you find attractive...but that's not love. Like Garnet says in this episode, that takes time and it takes effort, and love at first sight has none of those qualities."

With that said, here are my thoughts on this episode:


Seems like Steven and Connie don't know how to use the camera flip feature on their iPhone.


I think I'm going to enjoy Jamie. Next to Rinaldo, of course, he seems to be a character I would really like and relate to.


Wait, shouldn't it be the responsibility of the post office to know where everyone lives? You don't want people to receive their mail late, especially their bills and taxes.


"Your knuckles are so quiet."
"My hands are polite."


This would be the second time a human character has shown romantic interest in one of the Crystal Gems. The first would be Mayor Dewey with Pearl. (Psst! I hate to burst your bubble, Mayor, but she has a thing for Steven's dead mom!)


Seems like this episode is in continuity with the overall story arc, as Garnet is searching for Lapis Lazuli and Jasper, whom, last time we saw them, were fused together as Malachite and dragged down to the bottom of the ocean by Lapis's own will.


Dayum! I'm not interested in Garnet (I'd prefer Amethyst, thank you!), and even I think she looks smexy with this dramatic close-up.


Yup. Dat's dayum smexy, alright.


Sea monkey, Sea monkeys, when you're in distresss...oops! Wrong animal.


Wow. Garnet makes 20-something-year-old men act like 6-year-olds with a school crush. She must have some kind of magic to her.


Cool diving mask. That's all I have to say.


He maintains his thespian demeanor even when writing letters. Very fitting for a love letter. Though I doubt Shakespeare would have written about cardiac surgeons.

Also: "Garnet is already in a relationship. She is a relationship." So, sorry, Garnet fanboys: your Rule 34 fantasies of her will have to remain simply fantasies. She's not interested in threesomes.


"Start with the letter N, then the letter O." LOL! I know this sounds cruel, but wouldn't it be easier if more breakup and rejection letters were this blunt and simple.


I'm not sure if Jamie was being serious about going to Kansas to be a move star. Either movies in this world are filmed in Kansas, or he did not know that movies are made in Hollywood and simply set himself up for disappointment.


I'm caught up in the Drama Zone. I'm caught up in...THE DRAMA ZONE!


"I saw a soap opera once, so I think I get the gist of romance." LOL. That's like thinking you have the gist of being a doctor by watching Scrubs, or that you have the gist of current events by watching MSNBC.


"I read thine letter and I understand: thou hast returneth mine heart." To be fair, Shakespearean English is just that vague and incomprehensible that his interpretation, though clearly wrong, could have easily been just as valid.


Looks like Jamie has the same anime face-shifting powers as Rinaldo.


Looks like we have another new character, so I guess beach city doesn't just contain only 15 people. (And she looks like she may be related to Sadie. Is it her mother?)


It's a gummy bear. Oh yes a gummy bear. It's an evil freaking looking gummy bear.


"Can't you just zap his brain so that he forgets that this ever happened?" It would not faze me if Garnet had that power.


Jamie: But I've loved you since the moment I saw you.

Garnet: Love at first sight doesn't exist. Love takes time, and love takes work. At the very least you have to know the other person. And you literally have no idea of who, or what, I am.

Jamie: But I bloom for you like... Like a... camellia... under moon light.

Garnet: No you don't. You make a very convincing lovesick fool. You convinced these children, you even convinced yourself. You're a fantastic actor.

For a kids show, this show can be really deep. Also, being made "o-o-o-o-of lo-o-o-o-ove" herself, Garnet would know about the meaning of true love. (Though this raises the question of what she was so painfully and inconsiderately towards him in the first place?)