Nuggets of Wisdom

Monday, July 13, 2015

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata


“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

I’ve been a Nintendo fanboy ever since I was a little kid. My first video game console was a Super Nintendo. My first handheld console was a Gameboy Color. Since then, I’ve owned and played every major Nintendo console up to my current 3DS and Wii U consoles. Nintendo, second only to Disney, has been a pivotal part of my childhood.

So hearing that Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has passed away (and at the ripe age of only 55) is sort of big news to me. The man was responsible for greenlighting many of my favorite games including Kirby, Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, and Super Smash Bros.—which makes his passing feel almost like part of my childhood has also died. Of course, deep down I know that, even though the man is gone, his legacy will continue to live on in those games.

So, "Do you wish to continue?" Yes, yes I do!

To feel the feels that is currently being felt in the Nintendo fandom, view this fan art collection that has been recently compiled of fan art in his honor. Also, since today is VGM Monday, I feel it’s only fitting to share the Super Mario Bros. 2 credit music, as its tune of both melancholy and triumph fit the mood being collectively felt today by Nintendo fans: