Nuggets of Wisdom

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Feels, I Just Can’t!


If there’s one thing I especially applaud modern cartoons for, it’s their ability to make viewers feel a wide range of emotions, especially within single episodes.

In the past, most cartoon shows were only interested in entertaining their viewers, mostly through comedy. Now it seems almost as if cartoons have become self-aware and realized that they’re an art form, and as art, they have the ability to make you feel anything and everything.

And, boy howdy, have some of my favorite cartoons been putting me on an emotional rollercoaster ride lately.

My Little Pony with “Tanks For The Memories" and "Crusaders of the Lost Mark."

Gravity Falls with “A Tale Of Two Stans.”

Steven Universe with most of their Steven Bomb story arcs.

Legend of Korra in its entirety.

Rick and Morty with its Season 2 Finale, "The Wedding Scraunchers."

Rick and Freaking Morty!

No spoilers, but how the hell does an adult gross-out cartoon make you feel sorry for a sociopathic drunk of a scientist? I don’t know how they've done it but I know they’ve done it, and now I don’t know how I’m going to stay sane waiting for season three next year.

I can’t remember the last time an Adult Swim cartoon made me feel anything. The last two I remember were Futurama’s “Jurassic Bark” and Family Guy’s “Brian Wallows and Peter’s Swallows.” Both of those were more than a decade ago! Now it seems like the only other thing Family Guy make me feel other than mild amusement is utter disgust—especially when it attempts to be “sentimental” as with “The Death Of Brian.”

I’m not sure what’s allowing cartoon creators to convey so much pathos upon its audiences, but I hope they continue on and keep this current animation renaissance going.