Nuggets of Wisdom

Monday, November 16, 2015

Why I Hate Family Guy


There was a time in my life when I loved Family Guy and watched it religiously. I started out loving it. Then I simply grew to tolerate it. Now, I hate it.

It’s not so much that the comedy has gone downhill. It’s not even that they’ve resorted to shark-jumping tactics to keep it remaining relevant. (Remember when Brain died? Or when they crossed over with The Simpsons?) But when it tries to become “culturally relevant” by touching on hot button issues, not only does it fail, but it fails in such a way that it does more harm than good.

I can think of no better example of this than when it tried to tackle the issue of domestic violence in “Scream of Silence”—an episode that rivals “Not All Dogs Go To Heaven” as being the single-most worst episode of the series.

This episode isn’t just bad comedy: it’s comedy in bad taste, making light of an otherwise serious issue. What else can you say about an episode that blames victims of domestic abuse for their plight, or insists that the only solution to such violence is even more violence?

Not only has Mr. Enter done an excellent enough job of explaining why this episode is terrible, but also why it does more harm than good towards the cause it’s trying to address: