Nuggets of Wisdom

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sorry, Milwaukee Police Shooting Was Justified


Anyone who follows my blog knows that I’m against police brutality. So vocal am I against it that many of my more “conservative” followers believe that I “hate” cops. I don’t. I hate bad cops that are trigger happy, especially against unarmed citizens. The cops in Milwaukee weren’t gun happy, and the person they shot certainly wasn’t unarmed.

By now, I’m sure most of you are aware that Milwaukee is burning to the ground at the hands of rioters protesting the death of Sylville Smith, a 23-year-old man who was shot after fleeing cops from a traffic stop. As such, it would be easy for me to side with him and against the police, using this as yet another example of cops gone wild.

Except this isn’t.

Unlike most other examples of police brutality, where the victims were unarmed and stopped for a minor offense, Smith’s shooting, at least according to the facts thus far, seems to have been justified. Smith was a felon with a lengthy arrest record who was stopped for having a stolen firearm—a firearm that, according to body camera footage, he pointed at the cops.

I’ll repeat that: Smith pointed a stolen firearm at the cops.

So, no, Smith wasn’t an unarmed man like Walter Scott, who was shot multiple times in the back while fleeing from the cops. Smith had a gun. He aimed it at the cops. And the result is what anyone would (and should) expect from our law enforcement in such a situation.

Don’t get me wrong: police brutality is a major problem in this country, and there are plenty of real examples of it. This wasn’t one of those examples.

And it certainly wasn’t an excuse for rioters to go burning half their city down, not only destroying property, but also intimidating and even attacking innocent people. Now Gov. Scott Walker has declared a state of emergency. So congrats, rioters: by “protesting” the police state, you’ve only further “justified” it’s existence.

Both this and the recent JFK airport shooting are simply too much for me. I’d had hoped that August wouldn’t have the same crap that we faced in July, but I guess I was too hopeful there, wasn’t I?

I don’t know about y’all, but Imma gonna go to Magic Kingdom tomorrow with my folks for the first time since Disney World lifted the blackout dates for Florida residents. I even have a Fastpass for the new Seven Dwarfs Coaster (whose wait times are normally hella insane!). Perhaps a day at Mickey's place will distract me from the socio-political dumpster fire currently raging throughout our country. Seems like distracting myself is the only thing I can do at this point. Sigh.