For this week’s Disney Sunday, I’ll be offering my brief comments on a few recent and relevant Disney news items. So here we go.
• Nearly one month after being released, the new live-action remake of Pete’s Dragon has received a decent box office turnout and critical reception. Some critics are even saying that the movie is better than the original. I’ve yet to see either movie, but judging by the Cinemasins review of the original, I can sort of see their point:
• The Tower of Terror in Disney’s California Adventure is slated to close in January and will be re-opening next year as Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! Yes, that Tower of Terror rumor that we all thought was a rumor has turned out not to be a rumor. (At least in California. The Florida attraction remains safe.) Fans have not exactly been happy about the news. Some Jerk With A Camera offers a breakdown of the public backlash:
• Zootopia will be released on Netflix streaming later this month. It’s about time that we have a recent Disney movie available on streaming, and it’s a really good one to boot! Having had my Netflix subscription for the past three years, I’ve been less than enthused about the lack of Disney movie options. It’s nice that we’re going to get Zootopia, but we still don’t have Frozen or Big Hero Six or Inside Out or Wreck It Ralph or any of the other big name movies. Will they inevitably be released onto streaming? We’ll just have to wait and see.
• Disney Parks hosted its first live-stream of the Disney Electrical Parade, which is set to end its run later this year in Magic Kingdom as to make its way over to Disneyland. Judging from what little I’ve seen of the live stream, and judging by a few comments, it did not do well. When you can search for parade footage on YouTube that has better quality and an overall better experience than your live stream, you are doing it wrong! Judge for yourself:
• A sneak peek of the Beauty and the Beast live-action remake will be available on the animated DVD/Blu-Ray re-release on Sept. 6. We’ve already had leaks of what many of the live action characters will look like, and there’s also a table read of one of the scenes between this movie’s Belle and Beast. I’ve never really cared for the Disney live-action remakes, but I can safely say that I am very much pumped for the new live-action Beauty and the Beast. From what we’ve seen so far, it looks like we’re in for a real treat. (Like the gray stuff. That’s delicious. Don’t believe me? Ask the dishes!)
• Finally, Bright Sun Gaming released its newest video in its Abandoned series on the proposed Magic Kingdom resorts that were never built, including the Venetian, Asian, and Persian resorts: