Nuggets of Wisdom

Monday, March 13, 2017

VGM Monday: Temple/Great Palace


The newest Legend of Zelda game, Breath of the Wild, was recently released. This year also marks the 30th anniversary of the franchise in North America. To celebrate these occasions, I’m dedicating the next several VGM Monday posts to Zelda, wherein I’ll be highlighting music from the franchise, starting from the older games onward. This week, I'm featuring music from Zelda II: Adventure of Link.

I hate Zelda II! There. I said it. Many Zelda fans consider it a “challenging” game. I strongly disagree. The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time is challenging. A game that forces you to restart from the very beginning after handing your ass to you and forcing you to lose all three of your only lives is not “challenging.” It’s unforgiving!

As much as I hate this game, I do like it for two reasons. First, for inspiring the best stage on Super Smash Bros. And second, for the music. I admit that I haven’t heard much of the music because I could never make it past the first temple, but the overall music is good, especially later in the game at the Great Palace. (Which I’ve never played, again, because I could never make it past the first temple!)

The music for both the temples and the Great Palace are quite the adventurous scores, as they incite a sense of exploration and wonder. It’s exactly the music you’d expect to hear while spelunking the dark depths of an ancient temple filled with traps and hidden dangers, which is why it’s also fitting for the Hyrule Temple stage in Super Smash Bros.