Nuggets of Wisdom

Monday, April 3, 2017

VGM Monday: Tal Tal Heights


The newest Legend of Zelda game, Breath of the Wild, was recently released. This year also marks the 30th anniversary of the franchise in North America. To celebrate these occasions, I’m dedicating the next several VGM Monday posts to Zelda, wherein I’ll be highlighting music from the franchise, starting from the older games onward. This week, I'm featuring music from Link's Awakening.

I'll admit that Link's Awakening is one of the few Zelda games I haven't played yet. However, despite not playing it, I can't deny the impact it had on the franchise. Prior to this game, Zelda titles were mostly constrained to home consoles. The idea of taking such an epic adventure game with you on the go seemed almost like a pipe dream.

So the fact that a title like Link's Awakening exists seems nothing short of a miracle. We've had few mobile Zelda games since then, but what few we have we can owe their existence to Link's Awakening. Without it, we probably wouldn't have Breath of the Wild as a launch title for the Nintendo Switch!

Sadly, since I haven't played the game, I cannot truly say much about its music. However, what few musical selections I have listened to sound just as good on mobile as their home console counterparts sound. No other selection proves that big epic music can be performed on a small speaker than Tal Tal Heights: