Nuggets of Wisdom

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Weird Al Star Wars Songs


How interesting is it that Weird Al Yankovic wrote, not one, but two Star Wars parody songs about Star Wars? I could think of nothing more fitting to share for Star Wars Day on Throwback Thursday.

During my pre-teen years, I used to listen to both of these songs on Radio Disney, and I even had one of them on a Radio Disney CD. “Yoda” is creative and funny enough, but my personal favorite was “The Saga Begins” (which back then I always assumed was “Anakin Guy”!)

I always assumed Weird Al had been commissioned by LucasFilm to create the song as a promotion for The Phantom Menace. And as such, I also assumed that he had been given the privilege of watching the movie early. How else could he summarize the plot so perfectly?

So I was surprised to learn that this wasn’t the case. Weird Al wasn’t commissioned by LucasFilm nor was he treated to a special screening. Turns out he learned about most of the movie’s details through spoilers leaked on-line.

You have to remember that The Phantom Menace was released in 1999. The internet back then was still young. Social media as we know it was non-existent, and dial-up connection made the internet a more cumbersome beast. So the fact that Weird Al was able to write the song through what little information he garnered through such limited resources is an impressive feat in and of itself.

Anyway, here are the music videos for “Yoda” and “The Saga Begins", and May the Fourth be with you: